Friday, May 27, 2011
This is an image I shot with my holga a couple winters ago. I named it bike. I went through a period when I was shooting a lot with my holga, and that is when I shot this. I'm not sure why I stopped-probably because of the cost of film. I'm going to try and get back into it though. It keeps me on my toes. Shooting wih such little control is as exciting as it is frustrating. Proper exsposure, focus, compostion-it's all up in the air and any one's guess! It also makes me appriciate my digital so much more when I come back to him (my digital camera is a boy that I named George).
I've decided to head to my home town of Keokuk, Iowa tomorrow. I feel a little, well I honestly don't know what the word is for what I'm feeling right now, but it's not good and I think an escape is what I need. In a way, I think my life feels a little like shooting with a holga. I know! I know! It's a silly metaphor. But it's true-I feel like I have no control over the composition or focus of my own life right now-regardless of how much I'm trying to hold onto it. Maybe a week outside of the city in the Iowa air and some good times spent with my awesome nephew will help with my perspective. One of the things I am trying to do is focus more on the now instead of everything all at once in my life. What's up with my future? Do I need a back-up plan? Will I succeed? What do I want out of life? Why am I so obsessed with iced mochas? Those are all thoughts I can't do right now. What I can do right now is think about soon to arrive travels. Bikes are a mode of transportation just so you know, so I'm still totally talking about this picture in case you think I got off the subject or am rambling now.
So what traveling am I planning to do or want to do soon?
1. Colorado- I am going there this August and I get to see my friends Garret and Jen-they have a wedding I will be shooting. That's pretty swell. I haven't seen Garret in a while and I miss that guy a lot. I will also get see my friend Renee and spend a week with her out in the mountains. I miss her too-she's a unique one to say the least.
2. Minneapolis- Not as far of a trip, but I've never been there and my beautiful friend Jennifer lives there. I'm not sure when I'll make it there, but sometime this summer I hope.
3. Iowa City-My college town. Mary-Claire and I are planning a trip there this July. Not only will I get to visit some old bars that were my favorite, but we will be staying at the Sheridan-which means amazing beds to sleep in. I might forget about going to the bars and just stay in the bed the whole weekend-they are THAT GOOD.
4. New York-My friend Joey, who I've know since kindergarden got a job in New York City and just moved there a couple weeks ago. I've never been to New York before, but until now I've never known anyone that lives there to visit. I'm really happy for him because he has been wanting to move for a while, but I'm also happy for me because I've been wanting to have someone to visit there for a long time. win-win! So that trip might happen in September if I can swing it.
5. Des Moines, Iowa- A litle random I know, but Mary-Claire's sister is getting married this September (congrats Sara!) and I get to shoot her wedding! I'm mostly excited because that means I get to be there to see Mary-Claire give her sappy and hopefully awkward toast at the wedding reception AND take pictures of it!
I was listening to this song while I wrote this.
So those are my travel plans that I hope to complete within the next 4-6 months. Hopefully I will and have lots of travel pictures to share with you.
P.S. I want to play with baby lions and bears and throw monkeys in the air and be in this video.
Posted by Heather M Sapp
- ► 2012 (26)
- ▼ 2011 (122)